Corporate Compliance

Q&A: Breach of a minor's record

Compliance Monitor, March 4, 2010

Q:Whom should we notify if a minor’s record is breached? For example, a grandparent who works in our healthcare organization reviews the record of a newborn grandchild without authorization.

A:When breaches occur, you are required to notify the affected patients or their legal representatives. A minor child’s legal representative is a parent or legal guardian.

Mary D. Brandt, MBA, RHIA, CHE, CHPS answered this question in the April 2010 issue of the HCPro newsletter Health Information Compliance Insider. For more information about this newsletter visit the HCMarketplace.

Most Popular