This webcast will focus on problematic areas of ICD-10-CM coding for sequencing and code assignment selection that can affect the MS-DRG. In addition to ICD-10-CM, some of the more advanced issues related to the selection of characters and procedures in ICD-10-PCS will be explored. This session will target and explore both ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS by focusing on some of the issues CDI specialists will face in the upcoming transition to ICD-10, including documentation issues for accurate procedure code assignment.
- Diagnosis coding—definitions
- CCs/MCCs in ICD-9-CM vs. ICD-10-CM
- Obtaining specificity from ancillary reports
- ICD-10-PCS multiple procedures guidelines
- Challenges in ICD-10-PCS code assignment
- Surgical hierarchies
- ICD-10-PCS general guidelines
- GEM mapping issues
- Demonstrate how workflow tools and natural language processing impact the case finding process.
- Incorporate data visualization for physicians, finance, quality, and operations perspectives into the CDI process
- Explain the evolving role of the CDI specialist as technology impacts the CDI process.
- Define ways that an organization can prepare for a technology deployment, including change management strategies.
Presented by: Shannon E. McCall, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-I, CEMC, CCDS, and Jennifer E. Avery, CCS, CPC-H, CPC, CPC-I
Shannon E. McCall, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-I, CEMC, CCDS, is the director of HIM and coding for HCPro, Inc., and serves as the director of the Certified Coder Boot Camp® programs. She developed the Certified Coder Boot Camp—Inpatient Version and HCPro's ICD-10 Basics Boot Camp®. McCall and her team of regulatory specialists collaborated to develop the Certified Coder Boot Camp—ICD-10-CM/PCS versions. She also works with hospitals, medical practices, and other healthcare providers on a wide range of coding-related issues, with a particular focus on coding reviews and audits. She served as an ACDIS advisory board member from 2007 through the end of 2010.
Jennifer E. Avery, CCS, CPC-H, CPC, CPC-I, is a senior regulatory specialist with HCPro, Inc., and serves as an instructor for the Certified Coder Boot Camp, the Certified Coder Boot Camp—Online Version, the Certified Coder Boot Camp—Inpatient Version, HCPro's ICD-10 Basics Boot Camp, and the Certified Coder Boot Camp—ICD-10-CM/PCS versions. Avery played a vital role in the development of HCPro's ICD-10-CM/PCS-related educational courses. She works with hospitals, medical practices, and other healthcare providers on a wide range of coding-related issues, with a particular focus on coding education. She has extensive experience with coding for both physician and hospital services.