Quality & Patient Safety

Australia: Chemotherapy overdose prompts audit of medical equipment

Patient Safety Monitor: Global Edition, December 9, 2008

After a four-year period in which 11 children were overdosed with a chemotherapy drug, the South Australian government has issued an audit of all medical equipment used for cancer patients in all hospitals, reports the Australian. The overdose was traced back to a computer program. Staff members were raising the dosage, not realizing the computer was already doing the same automatically, according to the Australian. Patients received between nine and 17% more than the recommended amount of chemotherapy. To read more, click here.

Post a Comment

Name:

 

E-mail:

 

Please enter your comment below:

   

Please enter the text below:

   
   

Most Popular