The ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance (C&M) Committee discussed a few changes to the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 code sets for the October 1, 2012 implementation dates during its meeting March 5.
Due to the planned implementation of the ICD-10 code set, the last round of regular updates to ICD-9-CM were effective October 1, 2011. The C&M Committee discussed the proposed delay of ICD-10 implementation. Denise Buenning, from the Office of E-Health Standards and Services (OESS), stated that the OESS is “looking at all options for implementing that delay, and is currently gathering data to help inform that decision. OESS is also working to determine the most appropriate, expeditious and legal vehicle through which to effect this change,” according to a summary of the March 5 session.
Other discussions included:
- Atypical femoral fracture
- Cognitive sequelae of cerebrovascular diseases
- ICD-10-CM tabular addenda
- Translation of the Hospital-Acquired Conditions (HAC) list to ICD-10 codes
- Impact of the transition to ICD-10 on Medicare inpatient hospital payments