Safety

Patient blamed for fire in Tennessee hospital bed

Hospital Safety Insider, May 19, 2016

Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

A May 10 fire at a Knoxville, Tennessee hospital is being blamed on a patient, according to a report from WBIR-TV.

The fire at Physicians Regional Medical Center in North Knoxville, which started just before 6 p.m., caused heavy, thick smoke and forced nurses to move patients to safety, the report said. 

The fire was contained to a room on the second floor of the building. Firefighters determined that a patient, whose name hasn't been released, started the fire in his room. During the investigation, crews found a Bic lighter, the TV station reported.

The patient suffered severe burns, and water damage was extensive. Hospital personnel moved patients on the floor below because of water seepage, but no other injuries were reported.

Read more here.



Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

    Hospital Safety Center
  • Hospital Safety Center

    Improve compliance with hospital safety standards from The Joint Commission, OSHA, and other regulators with this...

  • Healthcare Life Safety Compliance

    Created exclusively for healthcare facility managers, plant operations professionals, and directors of engineering, this...

  • Hospital Safety Insider

    Stay on top of hospital safety requirements and best practices with our free, fast-paced weekly update.

  • Basic OSHA Compliance Manual Kit

    Total compliance has never been easier. This one convenient package contains everything you need to ensure your outpatient...

  • Basic Dental OSHA Compliance Manual Kit

    Total compliance has never been easier. This one convenient package contains everything you need to ensure your dental...

Most Popular