Safety

Food-additive powder shuts down hospital emergency room in Memphis

Hospital Safety Insider, April 17, 2014

Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

A FedEx employee exposed to a white powder on the job prompted the shutdown and decontamination of the emergency room at Methodist University Hospital Sunday night in Memphis, according to The Commercial Appeal.
 
According to the paper’s report, the 42-year-old woman was exposed to the powderduring her shift. Afterwards, she went home and showered, but drove herself to the emergency room at around 6:45 p.m. after she started experiencing breathing problems and vomiting.
 
Hospital authorities alerted the fire department and activated decontamination procedures, which placed the building in lockdown until about 10 p.m., when tests confirmed the substance was a harmless food additive, the paper reported.



Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

    Hospital Safety Center
  • Hospital Safety Center

    Improve compliance with hospital safety standards from The Joint Commission, OSHA, and other regulators with this...

  • Healthcare Life Safety Compliance

    Created exclusively for healthcare facility managers, plant operations professionals, and directors of engineering, this...

  • Hospital Safety Insider

    Stay on top of hospital safety requirements and best practices with our free, fast-paced weekly update.

  • Basic OSHA Compliance Manual Kit

    Total compliance has never been easier. This one convenient package contains everything you need to ensure your outpatient...

  • Basic Dental OSHA Compliance Manual Kit

    Total compliance has never been easier. This one convenient package contains everything you need to ensure your dental...

Most Popular