Safety

Fire in hospital due to careless smoking

Hospital Safety Insider, March 3, 2011

Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

New details have been released about a fire that took place on February 6 in Springfield Hospital, MO, which lead to the death of a cancer patient.

When firefighters entered the hospital, a burnt nasal tube and a burnt blanket were lying on floor covered in fire extinguisher dry chemical powder, reports KSPR News. The report found that a patient, Eileen Moorehouse, had been sitting in a chair smoking while using oxygen. A nurse entered the room, found the patient covered in flames, and attempted to put the fire out. The firefighters determined the incident to be an accident due to careless smoking. The patient later died from her injuries.



Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

Most Popular