Safety

Generator fire causes hospital to relocate patients

Emergency Management Alert, August 18, 2009

Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London, CT has reopened its emergency room after a fire outside the building forced officials to move 60 to 70 patients, according to JEMS.com.

An underground electrical transformer directly outside the emergency room caught fire in the morning of August 12, releasing 30 feet worth of flames. Only two people—a police officer and a hospital employee—were treated for injuries (heat exhaustion). Damage to the hospital was limited to a cracked window and water in some patient rooms.

To make sure your emergency preparedness program can handle events such as this, attend HCPro’s Emergency Management Coordinator’s Workshop, which will include “10 Steps to Improving Your Emergency Preparedness Program,” by Joseph Cappiello, BSN, MA. The event takes place October 26, 2009. To learn more, click here.

Most Popular