Safety

Construction chute contributes to an AZ hospital fire

Hospital Safety Insider, May 12, 2009

Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

A fire in an outside Dumpster climbed up an attached construction debris chute and into part of a hospital last week, prompting an evacuation of the entire facility.

There were no injuries during the May 4 blaze at Verde Valley Medical Center in Cottonwood, AZ. The top floor of the four-story building is under construction as a new care unit, according to The Bugle newspaper of Camp Verde, AZ.

Fire officials didn’t know the immediate cause of the blaze, but wouldn’t rule out improper disposal of smoking materials or flammable building materials. Flames didn’t penetrate the building far enough to activate the sprinkler system, The Bugle reported.



Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

Most Popular