Safety

Chemical fumes force 500 to evacuate part of a hospital campus

Hospital Safety Insider, March 11, 2009

Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

National Jewish Health in Denver evacuated about 500 staff members and students on Monday after a worker accidentally mixed two chemicals, creating toxic fumes in certain buildings.
 
The two chemicals were hydrochloric acid and sodium hypochlorite, which are used to keep swimming pool water clean, the hospital said in a statement.
 
There were no serious injuries as a result of the incident, though 44 people went to other hospitals for minor treatment after inhaling the fumes, according to the hospital. Denver’s Fire Department declared the scene safe after about three-and-half hours.
 
National Jewish Health, a respiratory hospital, has an elementary school on its campus for children with chronic diseases.



Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

Most Popular