Safety

Medical center quick to react to an odd potential mercury exposure

Hospital Safety Insider, November 19, 2008

Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

Workers at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Boise, ID, dealt with an unusual mercury threat last Friday.
 
The incident began when a baby, who was at home at the time,  bit the end of a mercury thermometer, exposing the child and family members to the toxic, metallic liquid, reported KTRV-Fox 12 of Nampa, ID. Relatives brought the baby to the ED at St. Luke’s.
 
Fearing a more widespread exposure, hospital officials cordoned off the lobby and called in a hazardous material team to assess the area for mercury, according to KTRV. Responders didn’t find any mercury threats in the hospital, and the child was treated and released.
 
All subscribers to the Hospital Safety Center can log on to search for detailed information about mercury risks and precautions in healthcare facilities.



Want to receive articles like this one in your inbox? Subscribe to Hospital Safety Insider!

Comments

0 comments on “Medical center quick to react to an odd potential mercury exposure

 

Most Popular