CMS releases updated improper payment figures, top regional RAC issues
Medicare Update for CAHs, August 10, 2011
CMS released a Recovery Audit Contractor (RAC) update on July 15 that details the amount of overpayments and underpayments identified in the most recent quarter, as well as the total amount identified since the start of the national program.
In the Q3 FY 2011 update, CMS identified $233.4 million in overpayments and $55.9 million in underpayments with a total correction amount of $289.3 million – more than $100 million more than in the previous quarter. The report shows that the figures identified by CMS continue to grow drastically; in the second quarter of fiscal year (FY) 2011, CMS identified $162 million in overpayments and $22.6 million in underpayments, with a total of $184.6 million in corrections.
While this brief CMS report is essentially self-explanatory, the figures within it are certainly telling, according to Kimberly Anderwood Hoy, JD, CPC, director of Medicare and compliance for HCPro, Inc.
- Complications from immobility by body system
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Don’t forget the three checks in medication administration
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- Pneumonia with a negative chest x-ray: Clinical diagnoses, physician documentation, and coding guidelines
- ICD-10 tip: Coding for infectious and parasitic diseases
- ICD-10-CM coma, stroke codes require more specific documentation
- Initiative launched to prevent physician, medical trainee suicides
- Stress Management
- Q/A: Coding for blood glucose checks
- How surviving a disaster changes the disaster plan
- HCPro's White Papers on the ANCC Magnet Recognition Program®: Collecting evidence for the written documentation
- Gap analysis: Three big issues
- Fetal non-stress tests represent important part of maternal and fetal health
- Don't let improper discharge disposition codes fly under the radar at your facility
- Coding, billing, and documentation tips for teaching physicians, interns, residents, and students
- Code arthroscopic knee procedures using G0289
- CMS launches new online tool to make Quality Payment Program easier for clinicians