SDW news brief: Startup medical company aims to reduce errors
Staff Development Weekly: Insight on Evidence-Based Practice in Education, April 13, 2012
Baxter Webb, an MBA student at Vanderbilt University, Tenn., is developing an electronic paging system that aims to improve communication between physicians, nurses, and other practitioners, with the goal of reducing errors at hospitals and healthcare facilities. The product, developed by Webb's startup company MEDarchon, will be a secure application that allows practitioners to send text message pages to a Smartphone without interrupting other practitioners' workflows. Webb believes this to be an improvement over traditional paging methods that interrupt workflow.
The product hopes to make communication easier and faster. Webb notes that an estimated 70% of medical errors occur because of a lack of communication due to a fear of interrupting physicians with pages even when something is going wrong. MEDarchon plans to have a beta version of the electronic paging system available by summer 2012, with the fully-functioning product introduced in early 2013.
Source: The Tennessean
- Complications from immobility by body system
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- What is the difference between an IPA and a medical group?
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Fracture coding in ICD-10-CM requires greater specificity
- Don’t forget the three checks in medication administration
- Pneumonia with a negative chest x-ray: Clinical diagnoses, physician documentation, and coding guidelines
- Woman shoots herself at Fort Knox hospital
- Study: Single step reduces readmissions by 25%
- How coders can build a successful relationship with their physicians
- More documentation needed for fractures in ICD-10-CM
- ICD-10-CM contracts the flu
- Homecare Q&A, Apri 17, 2017
- Got stickers? How one PA hospital uses labels to reduce medication errors
- Follow these tips to properly report bladder catheter codes
- Explore eligibility requirements and scoring standards for the first year of MIPS
- Clinical competency committee composition
- Charge for venipuncture separately