Evidence-based expert: Deliver education on patient diversity
Staff Development Weekly: Insight on Evidence-Based Practice in Education, September 25, 2008
This week's expert, Adrianne E. Avillion, DEd, RN, shares strategies for delivering diversity education.
Q. How can I successfully train my staff on multicultural patient care?
A. It is not possible to include all aspects of multiple cultures in a diversity program. However, if cultural diversity is part of your competency program, you can regularly add material about aspects of various cultures. The following is information to include in your initial training:
How do members of this culture communicate? What significance do body language, gestures, tone of voice, and eye contact have?
What role does religion play?
How is pain expressed?
How do families deal with pregnancy and birth?
Have a question for our evidence-based experts? Be a part of our new feature by emailing your queries to associate editor Lindsey Cardarelli at firstname.lastname@example.org. See your name in print and get the answers you're looking for!
0 comments on “Evidence-based expert: Deliver education on patient diversity ”
- Study: Almost half of nurses are thinking about leaving the profession
- Fracture coding in ICD-10-CM requires greater specificity
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Complications from immobility by body system
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- Pneumonia with a negative chest x-ray: Clinical diagnoses, physician documentation, and coding guidelines
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Don’t forget the three checks in medication administration
- What is the difference between an IPA and a medical group?
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- Bill and charge for supplies correctly to reduce risk and minimize lost revenue
- Seven tips for slashing ED wait times with limited resources
- QA:Coding multiple initial infusions
- Q&A: Query for "Type 2 injury"
- Q&A: Coding using suspected, probable diagnoses
- Q&A: Coding for transplant complications
- Note from the Instructor: Review of hospital inpatient mental health services payable under the inpatient psychiatric facility prospective payment system (IPF PPS)
- Increase patient satisfaction by improving your discharge process
- HIPAA Q&A: Maintenance of medical records after physician death
- Don't underestimate the importance of good documentation