- » e-Newsletters
Coding tip: Learn types and names of bunion procedures, part 2 of 2
Ambulatory Surgery Reimbursement Update, October 16, 2007
It is very important to know the type of procedure performed, and to verify its components before selecting a bunionectomy code. Some other common bunion procedures includes the Austin, Reverse Austin, Mitchell, Chevron, Kalish, Youngswick, Reverdin, Reverdin-Green and Hohmann procedures, all of which are coded with CPT code 28296. This involves a metatarsal osteotomy performed with or without a Sesamoidectomy. The Akin Procedure/Phalanx Osteotomy procedure (CPT code 28298) involves the removal of a medially-based bony wedge from the base of the proximal phalanx to correct its axis. The Lagroscino or Austin-Akin/Double Osteotomy procedure (CPT code 28299) is for a severe hallux valgus or a congruent joint. This is a combination of two osteotomy procedures and may be performed with or without a Sesamoidectomy. The Proximal Osteotomy procedure (CPT code 28306) is performed at the base of the first Metatarsal for severe Metatarsus Primus Varus of more than 15 degrees. For an Arthrodesis procedure of the Great Toe of the Metatarsophalangeal joint, use CPT code 28750. This procedure is for arthritic changes at the 1st MTP joint, coupled with severe Hallux Valgus.
This tip is brought to you by Ellis Medical Consulting, Inc.
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- Complications from immobility by body system
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Don’t forget the three checks in medication administration
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Pneumonia with a negative chest x-ray: Clinical diagnoses, physician documentation, and coding guidelines
- ICD-10 tip: Coding for infectious and parasitic diseases
- ICD-10-CM coma, stroke codes require more specific documentation
- Fracture coding in ICD-10-CM requires greater specificity
- Initiative launched to prevent physician, medical trainee suicides
- I Have to Learn This, Too?
- How surviving a disaster changes the disaster plan
- Gap analysis: Three big issues
- Ensure compliance when reporting cirrhosis and alcoholic hepatitis with an MCC
- CMS seeks comment on Medicaid HCBS
- CMS launches new online tool to make Quality Payment Program easier for clinicians
- Assessing weapons in your healthcare facility
- Analyzing nurse staffing: Understanding FTEs
- A clarification on billing for CAH swing bed services