- » e-Newsletters
Tip: Understand breast capsule procedures
Ambulatory Surgery Reimbursement Update, May 27, 2008
It is important to understand the difference in procedures physicians perform to treat complications from previous placement of breast implants. In particular, pay close attention to the differences between capsulotomy and capsulectomy procedures, which include the following:
- Capsulotomy procedures are less extensive than capsulectomy procedures. Physicians perform these procedures to enlarge the pocket of a contracted breast capsule from previous implants to relieve pain and tightness. Report capsulotomy procedures with CPT code 19370.
- Capsulectomy procedures are more extensive and also involve a contracted capsule from breast implants. In capsulectomy procedures the physician excises the capsule from the breast tissue and removes the implant. Report capsulectomy procedures with CPT code 19371.
If a physician performs a capsulectomy procedure on a patient with breast implants, the procedure includes the removal of the old (intact) implants, and is not separately-billable. If an implant has ruptured, the removal of implant material is separately-billable. However, check the national correct coding initiative updates to be sure, since they are quarterly.
This tip is brought to you by Ellis Medical Consulting, Inc.
- Woman shoots herself at Fort Knox hospital
- Welcome to the new and improved APCs Insider!
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- CMS proposes change to two-midnight rule
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- ICD-10 tip: Coding for infectious and parasitic diseases
- Injections and infusions continue to confuse coders
- The perils of cut-and-paste documentation
- Q&A: Coding for palliative care
- AMA clarifies its intent with ICD-10 grace period
- Q&A: The opening conference
- 2015 IPPS Final Rule released
- Note from the Instructor: Billing for Preventive Services in a Rural Health Clinic
- News: CMS debuts web page for ICD-10 CC and MCC lists
- Ensure coding accuracy by following rules for selecting a principal diagnosis
- Auditing for coding mistakes on outpatient orthopedic cases