BCBS settlement details $17 million in corrective actions
Compliance Monitor, March 21, 2012
HIPAA compliance 101—policies, training, monitoring, and risk assessments—might have saved Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee (BCBST) millions, experts say.
Instead, the health insurer agreed to a $1.5 million settlement with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) over potential HIPAA security violations and spent another $17 million in breach response costs.
On March 13, BCBST and the OCR, the government's HIPAA privacy and security enforcer, reached the second largest financial settlement of its kind, behind CVS Caremark's $2.25 million price tag a little more than three years ago.
The agreement also requires BCBST to update its HIPAA compliance policies and procedures, obtain OCR approval on all policy changes, and conduct unannounced random audits of its own employees.
This is OCR's first enforcement action related to a breach that was reported per the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act requirements, according to the Department of Health & Human Services.
Read more on the HealthLeaders Media website.
- Complications from immobility by body system
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- What is the difference between an IPA and a medical group?
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Fracture coding in ICD-10-CM requires greater specificity
- Don’t forget the three checks in medication administration
- Pneumonia with a negative chest x-ray: Clinical diagnoses, physician documentation, and coding guidelines
- Woman shoots herself at Fort Knox hospital
- Study: Single step reduces readmissions by 25%
- How coders can build a successful relationship with their physicians
- More documentation needed for fractures in ICD-10-CM
- ICD-10-CM contracts the flu
- Homecare Q&A, Apri 17, 2017
- Got stickers? How one PA hospital uses labels to reduce medication errors
- Follow these tips to properly report bladder catheter codes
- Explore eligibility requirements and scoring standards for the first year of MIPS
- Clinical competency committee composition
- Charge for venipuncture separately