BCBS settlement details $17 million in corrective actions
Compliance Monitor, March 21, 2012
HIPAA compliance 101—policies, training, monitoring, and risk assessments—might have saved Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee (BCBST) millions, experts say.
Instead, the health insurer agreed to a $1.5 million settlement with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) over potential HIPAA security violations and spent another $17 million in breach response costs.
On March 13, BCBST and the OCR, the government's HIPAA privacy and security enforcer, reached the second largest financial settlement of its kind, behind CVS Caremark's $2.25 million price tag a little more than three years ago.
The agreement also requires BCBST to update its HIPAA compliance policies and procedures, obtain OCR approval on all policy changes, and conduct unannounced random audits of its own employees.
This is OCR's first enforcement action related to a breach that was reported per the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act requirements, according to the Department of Health & Human Services.
Read more on the HealthLeaders Media website.
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- Complications from immobility by body system
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Don’t forget the three checks in medication administration
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Pneumonia with a negative chest x-ray: Clinical diagnoses, physician documentation, and coding guidelines
- ICD-10 tip: Coding for infectious and parasitic diseases
- ICD-10-CM coma, stroke codes require more specific documentation
- Fracture coding in ICD-10-CM requires greater specificity
- Initiative launched to prevent physician, medical trainee suicides
- I Have to Learn This, Too?
- How surviving a disaster changes the disaster plan
- Gap analysis: Three big issues
- Ensure compliance when reporting cirrhosis and alcoholic hepatitis with an MCC
- CMS seeks comment on Medicaid HCBS
- CMS launches new online tool to make Quality Payment Program easier for clinicians
- Assessing weapons in your healthcare facility
- Analyzing nurse staffing: Understanding FTEs
- A clarification on billing for CAH swing bed services