Q&A: Rehiring an employee that was fired for a violating patient confidentiality
Compliance Monitor, May 11, 2011
Q: An employee is terminated for violating patient confidentiality. The organization later rehires the employee to work in another department and then promotes this individual to the position of director of the department from which the employee was terminated. Is this a common occurrence?
A: Rehiring an individual terminated for violating patient confidentiality is not considered general practice. This scenario is more likely if the employee has no access to patient information when rehired. However, promoting the employee to director of the department where the violation that led to termination occurred could be considered inappropriate. This is always dependent on the severity of the violation, whether the violation was intentional, and the organization's policies with respect to sanctions pursuant to 45 CFR 164.308(a)(1) and 45 CFR 164.530(e).
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- ICD-10-CM coma, stroke codes require more specific documentation
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Fracture coding in ICD-10-CM requires greater specificity
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Weekly roundup
- Complications from immobility by body system
- Q: My supervisor is questioning the mileage and the care I provided for a patient who lives 30 miles away. How can I justify my time and travel?
- What to expect when coding CAD, MI with ICD-10-CM
- Tip: Understand breast capsule procedures
- The five key elements of a good orientation program
- Q&A: HIPAA Notice of Privacy
- Q&A: Code assignment for hospital acquired/healthcare associated conditions
- New malnutrition criteria could help ensure consistent coding
- Learn how to hold staff accountable in a nonpunitive culture
- Joint Commission to make antibiotic stewardship mandatory by 2017
- Inpatient-only procedures: Accuracy helps avoid denials, ensure compliance
- How to report ultrasound with ultrasound guided biopsy of thyroid
- How to bill separately for nebulizer treatments