Miami physician sentenced to 41 months in prison for $2.3 million fraud scheme
Compliance Monitor, March 16, 2011
Jerry A. Spiegel, MD, of Boynton Beach, FL, will serve 41 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release for his role in $2.3 million healthcare fraud scheme, according to a Department of Justice (DOJ) press release. Spiegel will also pay $880,000 in restitution and relinquish his medical license.
Spiegel served as medical director for three Miami-Dade County HIV/AIDS-infusion clinics. According to the DOJ, Spiegel ordered patient prescriptions without examining patients or reviewing patient files. Spiegel prescribed HIV/AIDS-infusion medications that were not medically necessary and were not administered to patients.
During Spiegel's time as medical director, the prescriptions Spiegel signed allowed the clinics to bill Medicare for more than $2.3 million in fraudulent claims, according to the DOJ.
- Differentiate between types of wound debridement
- Complications from immobility by body system
- OB services: Coding inside and outside of the package
- Don’t forget the three checks in medication administration
- Note similarities and differences between HCPCS, CPT® codes
- What does case-mix index mean to you?
- Pneumonia with a negative chest x-ray: Clinical diagnoses, physician documentation, and coding guidelines
- ICD-10 tip: Coding for infectious and parasitic diseases
- ICD-10-CM coma, stroke codes require more specific documentation
- Fracture coding in ICD-10-CM requires greater specificity
- Initiative launched to prevent physician, medical trainee suicides
- I Have to Learn This, Too?
- How surviving a disaster changes the disaster plan
- Gap analysis: Three big issues
- Ensure compliance when reporting cirrhosis and alcoholic hepatitis with an MCC
- CMS seeks comment on Medicaid HCBS
- CMS launches new online tool to make Quality Payment Program easier for clinicians
- Assessing weapons in your healthcare facility
- Analyzing nurse staffing: Understanding FTEs
- A clarification on billing for CAH swing bed services